Do you need a break? We all do. And that includes pregnant women!
Pregnancy is a beautiful, exhausting, and sometimes stressful time. When you’re expecting, it’s important to take care of your body and your mind. And prenatal massage therapy can help with both.
Our licensed massage therapists at Salt Salon & Spa are trained to work with expectant mothers in Louisville, KY and will make sure you’re comfortable throughout the entire process. We’re here to help you relax while providing important health benefits for both mommy and baby.
Come in today and experience the benefits of our prenatal massages.
Let Us Work Our Magic on You
If you’re looking for a prenatal massage in Louisville, KY, look no further. At Salt Salon & Spa, we offer expert massage services for our expectant clients—and we can’t wait to show you what we can do.
Our services are designed to:
- Reduce swelling in the joints
- Prevent chronic pain from developing in the back and neck
- Improve overall health and quality of life during pregnancy and after childbirth
We understand how much you want to keep your pregnancy healthy and worry-free—we want that for you too! That’s why we offer safe and effective massages just for expectant mothers so you can relax and focus on what matters: growing a happy baby and preparing yourself to become a parent!
Enjoy the Benefits of Prenatal Massage
We know that pregnancy is a time of great change, both physically and emotionally. As your body grows to accommodate your child, you may also struggle with aches and pains as well as general discomfort.
Our prenatal massages are performed by therapists trained in pregnancy massage techniques that are tailored to meet the unique needs of expectant mothers.
Therapeutic prenatal massage in Louisville, KY provides many health benefits in addition to helping you relax and feel good. Let’s take a closer look at them.
- Relaxation: Pregnancy is an exciting time in a woman’s life, but it is also a time of change and adjustment. The growing uterus, the extra weight gain, and the new demands on the body cause many women to feel uncomfortable and not like themselves. Massage helps with this by promoting relaxation and decreasing stress.
- Reduced swelling: Pregnancy massage can help reduce swelling in hands, ankles, legs, and feet by encouraging lymphatic fluid flow. This is especially helpful during pregnancy because as the baby grows so do these areas of swelling.
- Reduced muscle tension: The extra weight of pregnancy causes strain on muscles throughout the body. Regular massages help relieve tension and keep muscles healthy.
- Improved circulation: Prenatal massages also improve circulation, which helps mothers maintain healthy blood pressure levels and increases blood flow to the muscles being massaged. Improved circulation also reduces swelling by encouraging the body to flush out excess lymphatic fluid, which often accumulates in the hands and feet during pregnancy.
- Decreased stress hormones: The hormone cortisol is released when a person experiences stress. Cortisol has been shown to negatively affect fetal development when present at high levels during gestation. Prenatal massage helps reduce these hormone levels which prevents the risk of preterm labor or low birth weight babies.
- Pain relief: Prenatal massage may reduce various discomforts a mother-to-be experiences including headaches, back and neck pain, muscle cramps or swelling.
- Decreased depression: Massage therapy can also help you better manage depression during pregnancy by increasing serotonin levels in your body which in turn increases dopamine levels as well. Dopamine is what gives you that sense of well-being or happiness.
- Improves Sleep: Pregnant women often have difficulty sleeping due to the physical discomforts of late pregnancy, including back pain, leg cramps, and heartburn. Regular prenatal massages can improve overall sleep quality by reducing stress and anxiety levels in pregnant women.
Who Would Benefit From Prenatal Massage?
Prenatal massage in Louisville, KY is a great way for pregnant women to relax and relieve pain and stress during pregnancy. Massage therapy can be very beneficial during this period, as long as it is done by a knowledgeable massage therapist who is certified in prenatal massage.
In general, prenatal massage is a good idea for any pregnant woman who is experiencing aches and pains related to the added stress on her body. Prenatal massage can also help ease the mind of a mother-to-be by helping her relax, which can reduce stress hormones in the body that can be harmful both to the mother and her baby.
Mothers-to-be need to have an open conversation with their doctor about the benefits that massage therapy can provide during pregnancy, as well as any concerns they might have about it.
Who Is Not an Ideal Candidate for Prenatal Massage?
Prenatal massage is a great way to relax and unwind, but not all women are candidates for the treatment.
Women who have any of the following health issues should avoid prenatal massage:
Preeclampsia: Preeclampsia is a pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure and often a significant amount of protein in the urine. Preeclampsia can cause serious or even fatal complications for both mother and baby if it’s not monitored closely. Massage may increase circulation to the uterus, which could put the developing baby at risk.
Diabetes: Diabetic women need to be especially careful about their blood sugar levels during pregnancy since high blood sugar can harm the baby. Pregnant diabetics typically undergo more testing than women without diabetes, and close monitoring of blood sugar levels is essential during pregnancy. Because massage increases circulation, it could interfere with diabetic medications and affect blood sugar levels.
Preterm labor or miscarriage: Women who have had preterm labor or miscarriage in previous pregnancies have an increased risk of going into early labor again. Massage may induce labor, so these women should talk to their doctors before getting a prenatal massage to make sure it’s safe for them and their babies.
Other factors include:
- High-risk pregnancy
- If you are in your first trimester
- Placenta previa (a condition in which the placenta partially or covers the cervix)
- Bleeding or spotting
- Recent surgery or extensive bruising
- Active infections
- Severe anemia
If you’re unsure whether prenatal massage in Louisville, KY is safe for you, make sure to consult with your health practitioner before scheduling an appointment.
What To Expect During a Prenatal Massage in Louisville, KY
First, you will be asked to fill out a medical history questionnaire. The massage therapist will want to know your due date, as well as any health conditions or allergies you may have.
The massage therapist may also ask if you had any injuries or if you are feeling any pain. This information will help the massage therapist determine which areas to avoid during your treatment and whether he or she needs to modify the massage technique in any way.
You will be asked to lie on your side and use pillows or bolsters for support. Your massage therapist will then begin your prenatal treatment.
Your massage therapist may use a variety of techniques during your prenatal massage, including effleurage (long, gliding strokes), petrissage (kneading of the muscles), and stretching. The average full-body prenatal massage lasts about an hour.
Pregnancy Massage at the Best Price in Louisville
And when you’re pregnant, you deserve to feel your best. That’s why we offer expert prenatal massage at the most affordable cost in Louisville, KY. We know that being pregnant is an exciting but expensive time, so we want to make sure that you can get the treatment that you’ve earned without breaking your bank.
Our two pregnancy massage offers include:
These services are performed by trained professionals in a relaxing environment designed to help you feel your best. We understand that pregnancy can be an overwhelming time for most women, so we aim to help you get through it with your comfort in mind.
We’ll have you feeling like a new woman in no time. And we can’t wait to meet you!
The Pregnancy Massage Specialists in Louisville, KY
Do you need to relax? Feeling tense? Sore muscles?
We can help. Prenatal massage is a great way to take care of yourself and your baby during pregnancy. However, it’s important to find a professional who is certified to do this type of work.
The staff at Salt Salon & Spa have been trained to work with and care for expectant mothers, and they offer the same benefits as other types of massage.
Whether you’re in Fern Creek or Bullitt County, our team of professionals would love to make you feel pampered and relaxed with a prenatal massage.
Prenatal Massage FAQs
What is a prenatal massage?
Prenatal massage is a type of massage that specializes in the specific needs of mothers-to-be during pregnancy. It aims to improve her physical and mental well-being. As her body adapts to the changes of pregnancy, massage can help ease discomfort, encourage relaxation, and boost energy levels.
Why should you get a prenatal massage?
A massage during pregnancy is a great way to relax muscles and joints, improve circulation and mobility, and relieve mental and physical fatigue. It can also help to reduce swelling, soothe nerves and release endorphins — the body’s natural painkillers — in the brain. Before you book an appointment, though, it’s important to ensure that the spa is equipped to handle expectant mothers.
When is it not safe to get a prenatal massage?
While there are many benefits of prenatal massage, there are some points in pregnancy when it may not be safe for an expecting mother to receive a massage.
A doctor’s approval is a must if you are in your first trimester or if you’ve had previous miscarriages or high-risk pregnancies. Health issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or other conditions could also affect your pregnancy. Your physician can tell you if you have any medical conditions that might make prenatal massage inappropriate for you.
How long does a prenatal massage last?
Pregnancy massages generally last an hour to an hour and a half. If you are early in your first trimester, you may want to limit yourself to 45 minutes because your body is adjusting to the new surge of hormones and needs time to get used to being massaged. However, you should discuss this with your therapist who will be able to advise you accordingly.
What does getting a pregnancy massage feel like?
A prenatal massage can feel heavenly. While every woman has her preferences for pressure, most say that prenatal massages should be gentler than regular massages. You might be surprised at how much pressure you can tolerate during pregnancy, particularly as your baby grows and your center of gravity shifts. Do keep in mind that you can always ask your therapist to adjust the intensity of their touch if it becomes uncomfortable at any time during your session.
What happens during a prenatal massage?
The first step in the prenatal massage process is taking the time to understand any concerns or specific areas that you might have. Then, your therapist will use their hands to gently apply pressure to your body and massage certain muscles. They’ll also use special pillows or bolsters to help keep you comfortable. With every stroke, you’ll feel the tension melt away, leaving you completely relaxed and rejuvenated.
How much does a prenatal massage cost?
The cost of your prenatal massage will vary depending on where you live, the length of the massage, and the therapist’s level of training. Some therapists charge more per hour if they have specialized training in pregnancy massage. Others provide discounts when you purchase a package of massages upfront, such as a package of three 60-minute sessions for $225 or five 90-minute sessions for $550. On average, expect to pay about $75 for a one-hour prenatal massage. Book your prenatal massage with Salt Salon & Spa today!